Wednesday, December 21, 2011

drug holiday

when i first heard the phrase "drug holiday", i thought maybe it would include something cool, like a plane ticket to holland. unfortunately, this is not the case.

i had a blood draw today. my platelets, which have been dropping for about 1.5 months now, have finally hit what the oncologist considers dangerous levels. normal platelet count is 140 or so, as 1.5 months ago, my counts were normal. 4 weeks ago my count had dropped to 89, then 2 weeks ago further drop to 61. Today? 46. so, because i am now in the risky--touch me too hard and i'll bruise stage, i'm on a drug holiday.  my platelets are dropping (along with my white count which is 2.3--should be 4.5) is a side effect of gleevec, so i'm now on a "drug holiday" (no plane ticket included)--i don't take gleevec for at least this week.

the good: no side effects soon. after 48 hours the gleevec will be out of my system, so i should be feeling really good just in time for christmas.
the bad: i am covered with bruises and petechia and the bruises are fairly tender.
the ugly: while i'm off the gleevec my white blood cells are free to reproduce at mad rates. it may take 2-3 weeks for my platelet count to recover. and this *may* mean that i am developing an intolerance to gleevec. luckily there are other drug options.

once again i am truly grateful that i am alive today--when CML is largely treatable.
hugs everyone!

1 comment:

  1. I hope you feel more "normal" for the holidays. That will be fun! I hope your blood recovers.

    Prayers & Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete