Wednesday, December 12, 2012

the interesting stuff on the internetz

I spend lots of time researching CML. i do this because i'm a bit obsessive about research. i have a need to know. i imagine that's how i ended up as a reference librarian.

so when i wander onto websites where people state that they used interferon (the only real treatment for CML before gleevec) instead of gleevec, and it damaged them, then when they lost remission they went on gleevec and then decided that juicing and eating organic and refusing to pump their own gas will allow them to stop taking gleevec. and they claim to being an RN. it makes me wonder whether they're just in such need of attention that they need to lie about such things, or are they really stupid enough to believe that it will work.

and then on another site i encounter a guy who basically told another CML patient that they should reduce their dosage of TKI without consulting with their oncologist.

if you're here on my blog looking for advice: go to an oncologist/hematologist. if you feel like they aren't treating you appropriately get a second opinion. or a third. but don't listen to what i say as more than my own anecdotal information. what works for me may not work for you. likely will not. we all have different bodies and what works for one won't always work for another.

BUT: juicing isn't going to cure anyone's CML. right now medication or bone marrow transplant/stem cell transplant is the only safe treatment (ok--there is an interesting new treatment on the horizon that may replace  BMT/SCT) but in general you get my point. go to an oncologist. go to 10 if you need to but don't let anyone convince you that pumping gas is what caused your CML and stopping doing it will fix you.

HUGS...

6 comments:

  1. Good post! the RN that you refer to must be like that lady on the video that thought the county should move the deer crossing signs so that the deer would cross the road in different places instead of there, where the sign was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a good post. Alas it is good advice for any disease. If they have the "cure" you can be sure they would not be doling it out for free on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me know if you need a donor. Common sense is hard to come by. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just stumbled across your blog and am finding it very entertaining. My daughter has CML and I've had well-meaning friends suggest that she'll grow out of it (what?) and that natural oils could cure her. Ugh, as if I WANT to give my little girl meds everyday that no one can tell me what the long-term effects might be or how durable they may be! And, since I'm venting a bit...giving her a sip of my diet coke did NOT cause her cancer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my gosh Jennifer. HUGS. hope things are going well. and no. diet coke didn't give her cancer, how insane!

    ReplyDelete